[Sca-cooks] Some disturbing news about one of the food merchantsat Pennsic

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 20 09:22:37 PDT 2003

>Also sprach Olwen the Odd:
>
>>Phil's Grille.  I have written to a fellow that worked there and am hoping
>>to get a reliable story from him.  When and if I do I shall pass it on.
>>This topic is on other lists I am on, along with the story of the
>>cross-bow guy whose name I cann't recall just now.  At least in that case
>>the owner wrote his side.  I have yet to hear from the owner of Phils or
>>anyone with the "know".
>>Olwen
>
>Phil himself, or possibly his wife writing from a shared mail account, I
>forget which, wrote at least two separate accounts to the UseNet newsgroup
>rec.org.sca, a.k.a. The Rialto, but his account didn't mention any specific
>reasons for the expulsion. The suggestion seemed to be that Phil's menu and
>work methods were geared for SCAdians, and that there were necessary
>differences between optimal work conditions for running a SCAdian food
>service and for ordinary food services, and that Cindy Cooper and the PA
>health department and licensing body failed to comprehend this. There was
>also a very faint implication of religious persecution, as I recall.
>
>On the other hand, food services don't tend to get very far with the "the
>authorities don't understand the way we work" defense. If you want to be a
>licensed food service or be covered by somebody else's license, you
>understand how they work, and maintain their standards, rather than
>expecting them to adapt to yours.
>
>I do gather that PA has some rather more stringent regulations than many
>other states; it's possible that what a travelling SCA food service
>routinely does and gets away with in Montana (or wherever) will not cut it
>in PA.
>
>But yes, it would be nice to hear a full, detailed version of the story
>(which the above plainly is not).
>
>Adamantius

My friend who worked there says it was probably because of the late hours.
He also says he will not be buying from any of the locals who have food
stands there.  The mechant addresses are listed in the back of the
merchant's guild.  Delights of Cathay and DeRose's Bread Boule are both from
New Castle, Fruity Cobbler from Pittsburg, Beast & Boar from Freedom PA and
Once Again Inn from Canfield OH.  That pretty much leaves Gyllen's Tavern,
from WI and Cock & Bull from FL to choose from...
Olwen