[Sca-cooks] Some disturbing news about one of the foodmerchantsat Pennsic

Rosine nothingbutadame at inthe.sca.org
Wed Aug 20 10:02:02 PDT 2003

Before we write off every local food vendor...
<snip>
> Beast & Boar from Freedom PA
<snip>

   When I was dropped (two days onsite and taken by surprise with a
three-day deadline) into organising a Page's School Academy for Pennsic, the
owner of the Beast and Boar went f-a-r out of his way to provide me with no.
10 cans, carefully cut at both ends, sanitised and the raw edges filed down,
to use as quickie-drum bodies for one class (kids made their own drums under
Baron Dur's direction, then Master Daveed taught them how to use them). He
had cleaned, saved, and examined (for perfect shape) over 40 cans for me -
for free. And sent refreshments over "for the kids". And all I'd asked for
was permission to look through his trash for useable cans.
   While working at the Troll booth, it was never uncommon to receive free
beverages. One extraordinarily hot War they were delivered in a huge
container every afternoon with the container refilled throughout the day -
for free, unasked, because the owner thought we'd need it.
   Last year while I was recovering from an ulcer, after I'd asked the
server to half my portion because I couldn't eat that much and didn't want
to waste the food (potatoes and beef was all I lived off of that War), the
owner directed that I have a special plate and price - and I was *nobody* to
him. I knew that he did not remember his kindness to me and my departments
during the previous Wars.

   So gee, guys, if SCA membership is such big determinator, I'm not with
ya. Phil's Grill is a travelling rennfair/SCA/Faire business - I don't even
know if the owners are members but doubt that they'd view membership as
anything other than a standard business practise.
   In my book, kindness and support count for more than membership.

Rosine/Hróðny Rognvaldsdottir
--
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
 in matters of principle, stand like a rock."
- Thomas Jefferson    nothingbutadame at inthe.sca.org