[Sca-cooks] Oops!

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Fri Aug 22 14:29:46 PDT 2003

> >The comment about dredging the chicken in icing sugar instead of flour got
> >me thinking--besides Master A's garlic brownies, who else has used the
> >wrong food substance? I mixed up the cayenne and paprika once--it was
> >inedibly hot paprikas--which is why I now label all my spices even if it's
> >turmeric.
> >
> >Anybody else?
> >
> >Margaret, who faces a weekend of spice labeling and wedding cake planning
>
> I do it to people all the time!  It's so fun to watch people cruise by the
> banquet table after they see me around.  The last bit I did was put some
> marzipan almonds in with the spiced mixed nuts.  Folks loved them!
> Olwen, the odd one...

Yes, but you do things like that on purpose!

I'm talking about incidents like the Passover reubens at my husband's
fraternity house, where the chef was requested to make reubens for dinner,
so he did. Phil is 1st-generation Italian, reubens aren't his specialty.
(He does make amazing pesto and lasagne, though.) Anyway, he knew that you
put Russian dressing on reubens (nobody argue with me on that, I am merely
relating a story), but he had no idea how to make said dressing. So he
took mayonnaise and mixed it with the first appropriately colored
ingredient he could find--Tabasco sauce. This was bad enough for the
goyim, but for the brothers who were keeping kosher for Passover and
having their reubens on matzoh it was apparently extremely painful.

Margaret