[Sca-cooks] Keeping cheesecake

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius at verizon.net
Fri Aug 22 18:30:53 PDT 2003

Also sprach Phlip:
>Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...
>

>>  > Has anyone other than me tried the Jello no-bake
>>  > cheesecake mixes?  My mother bought some on sale
>>  > years ago.  Shudder.  They taste just awful.
>>
>>  That's pretty much my reaction to all cheesecake.
>>
>>  - Doc (the evil, communist, space alien who doesn't like cheesecake)
>
>Ah, Doc, I gotta tell you tales of the Chocolate Cheesecake lady. As a
>medieval cook, she made a wonderful chocolate cheesecake ;-)

Hmmm. I'm sure this is the perfect moment for 87 people to all chime
in, "Ah, but you haven't tried _MY_ cheesecake!!! It's
triple-chocolate macadamia fudge pumpkin Chambourd cheesecake, and
the cheese is utterly indistinguishable from the other ingredients!!!"

That said, somewhere I have a recipe (like, say, in the Larousse
Gastronomique) for something called torteau au fromage (which,
interestingly enough, is French for cheesecake). It's kind of a
mousse of chevre or fresh goat's milk curd cheese, which, when
sweetened, does a remarkable impersonation of a lemon-flavored
cheesecake, but with a drier, puffier texture almost like a pound
cake. The sugars in the goat cheese caramelize in the oven, leaving a
snow-white interior and a browned top that's almost dark-chocolate
brown. Amazing stuff. As I recall it's a Provencale thang; I can post
the recipe if anybody wants, at some point this weekend.

Although I respect Doc's God-given right not to like cheesecake (the goof).

Adamantius, who remembers Phlip's frequent rants about Chocolate
Cheesecake Lady