Good Heavens! Micaylah??? Was: RE: [Sca-cooks] Oops!

Micaylah dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca
Mon Aug 25 10:46:03 PDT 2003

> oh ick!
> i have a friend here in the states who caught it (she works at the
> courthouse, and they figure she picked it up there)  the
> medication regimin
> is awful from all i have heard.

It can be. Not for everyone, just us lucky few. Gained 42 pounds, peed
orange, lost a huge chunk of my eyesight (temp), had extreme pins and
needles in my feet and hands for 9 months due to nerve damage from the
drugs, and was more grumpy than usual. Go figure. I work for Health Canada
administering Aboriginal health programs. TB is on the rise in North
America, especially among our more remote native population. I was just at
the wrong meeting at the wrong time they suspect. Originally they thought I
may have contracted it while I did some NGO work in Belize but once they
found out where I worked that was the probable culprit!

> allow you back into Canada? i assume you live there, i didnt know
> you could
> be kept out of your own country...

Kirsten as I understood it, I would have had no problems leaving Canada, but
there is a nationwide List (Public Health Nurse) for folks that have tested
positive for TB and are on a drug program that all Customs folks have. All
it would have taken was a bored Customs Officer or an over achiever to check
this List as I was going through Customs and I would have been denied
entrance until I was finished the drugs. All this, even though I'm a Cdn
citizen! I was told that the chances of this actually occurring were
practically nil, but I wasn't about to take the chance. <sigh> You'd think I
was a gun-totin' terrorist or something. I wonder though what I would have
done had this happened. No one ever made any suggestions or told me what to
do should this occur. I suppose I would have called the Cdn Embassy, but I
just don't know. And I don't know if the American Customs folks have
anything like this but I suspect not for a lot of reasons.

Micaylah