[Sca-cooks] Favorite period Spanish recipes?

david friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Wed Aug 27 11:00:28 PDT 2003

>>and Olwen asked:
>>
>>>Got a recipe for the salmon?
>>
>>Our version of that one is in the Miscellany; in addition to being
>>good, it';s really pretty--lots of color contrast.
>>
>>Elizabeth/Betty Cook
>
>Thank you Elizabeth, but I could not find an entry for Cazuela de
>Salmon or Salmon.  Do you call the dish some other name?
>Olwen

Here it is:

Cazuela de Salmon- Salmon Casserole
Ruperto de Nola, Libro de Guisados, 1529
Tr. Lady Brighid ni Chiarain of Tethba (Robin Carroll-Mann)

You must take the clean and well-washed salmon; and put it in a
casserole with your spices which are: galingale, and a little pepper
and ginger and saffron; and all of this well ground, and cast upon
the fish with salt, and a little verjuice or orange juice, and let it
go to the fire of embers; and then take blanched almonds and raisins
and pine nuts and all herbs.  That is, moraduj, which is called
marjoram, and parsley, and mint; and when the casserole is nearly
half-cooked cast all this inside. [end of original]

1.9 lb salmon
1/2 t galingale
1/8 t pepper
1/4 t ginger
15 threads saffron
1/4 t salt
3 T verjuice (or sour orange juice)
1/4 c blanched almonds
3 T raisins
1 T pine nuts
1 t fresh marjoram
1 T fresh parsley
1 t fresh mint

Put salmon fillets in heavy pot and sprinkle on spices and verjuice.
Cover and put on stove on medium low; as soon as it is at a simmer,
turn down to very low heat. Chop the herbs very fine and get the nuts
and raisins ready. After 15 minutes, add the remaining ingredients,
and cook another 10 minutes. Serve.

Were you looking in the current edition of the Miscellany, webbed on
Cariadoc's site in pdf?

http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/miscellany_pdf/Misc9recipes.pdf

There is also an older version, webbed for us by Master Gregory
Blount some years back; I haven't checked to see if that one has this
recipe.

Elizabeth/Betty Cook