[Sca-cooks] Period Foods: How to Fake It! - More Clearly

Cera Chonaill cera_chonaill at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 4 10:19:38 PST 2003

Cleary people have misread the point of the email. My fault.

It isn't about passing of non period as real. Not about faking it at real
feasts or banquets.

The whole it idea behind the 'Fake It' bit is more for the non cooks (or
those with limited time) that want to make a lunch or off board table
feel/look more period. Not every one even when prepping the food in advance
are going to either have the time or skill to make everything from scratch
or has access to every ingredient. Nor does everyone know what foods they
could buy that could give the look and feel of period foods. How many times
have you seen McDonald bags or Kentury Fried Chicken or the like at events
because some just don't know how easy it is to choose or make foods at give
the feel/look of more period.

Let me given an example with Chicken in a Coffin. Not everyone can or is
prepare to take time to make a coffin, doing all the kneading to get it to
be elastic and all and then molding it into shape. Using a pie shell and top
is easier and still gives a more period feel to the dish and taste if the
same filling is used. For the non cooks (or those with limited time) for
their lunch or off board table that can work for them.

By the way I do make it myself with the real Coffin, but will buy pork
sausage instead of making them if time is limited (no I don't pass them off
as real it just makes the lunch table look better).

So the question is how have you "Faked It" either through substitutions or
food choices to give the FEEL/LOOK of more period foods at your lunch or off
board table (remember not referring to real feasts here). The idea is to
give non cooks the impression that you don't have to research every recipe
or have master chef level skills to make the effort to make a simple lunch
table look and taste more period. Remember it's not about proclaiming fake
as real.

Hope that make's it more clearer. I know my writing skills are not always
the best. Darn those dyslexic thought patterns.

In Service,

Cera