[Sca-cooks] Spiced Nuts

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 15 20:16:57 PST 2003

Someone was asking about spiced nuts - not just about the recipe for
the one's in the Cookie Exchange. Since time has passed, i figured
i'd resend my recipe for Indonesian spiced peanuts that i sent to the
list 2-1/2 years ago. I've edited the recipe and i've added a little
additional info in [square brackets].

This is an adapted recipe - in Indonesia they don't use powdered
turmeric, cayenne pepper, or garlic powder. They use fresh turmeric
and galangal rhizomes, which they grind to a paste. They use really
arfing hot tiny little fresh red chilis which they grind to a paste,
seeds and all (it's all paste - commercial sambal in a jar in the US
is wrong - it shouldn't have seeds floating in it - they should be
ground to a paste). And they do the same thing with the garlic. They
use a lava stone mortar which is sort of flat and rectangular with
low sides. Attention if you use fresh garlic - it burns easily.

Indonesian soy sauce is closer to Chinese than to Japanese, but i
prefer Japanese-style soy sauce, and it's cheaper than Indonesian soy
sauce (plus the soy sauce i buy is made with non-GMO soy beans, but,
hey, that's me, use what you will). Chinese soy sauce is "stronger"
in flavor (and, it seems to me, salt), so you might need less if you
use a Chinese soy sauce (of course i mean the "standard" table soy
sauce, since there are so many different types of soy sauce in China).

Anahita

---------------------

Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 00:10:49 -0700
Subject: SC - Indonesian style Spiced Peanuts - OP

OK, i dug up my recipe for Kacang Bumbu (the "c" is pronounced like a
"ch" in modern Indonesian orthography) - also written Katjang Boemboe
(the colonial Dutch spelling). Again, kacang = peanut; bumbu = spice

[sort of pronounced: kah-chahng boom-boo]

Kacang Bumbu

1 lb. shelled raw peanuts

Roast unsalted. Cool somewhat. Rub the skins off.
(or you could start with roasted UNSALTED peanuts that already have
their skins off :-)

In wok or large skillet on medium-high heat mix the nuts with the
following ingredients:

1/4 c. (or less) Japanese-style soy sauce
1 tsp. ground coriander seed
1/4 tsp. cayenne powder
1/4 tsp. powdered turmeric
1/4 tsp. powdered galangal (aka laos (Malay/Indonesian), aka kha(Thai))
1/4 tsp. ground white pepper
1/4 tsp. garlic powder (fresh garlic tends to burn, but might work if
you add it near the end of the process)
1/8 tsp. ground cumin seed

[Stir and stir and stir, to keep peanuts coated with mixture and to
keep from burning. Gradually the moisture in the soy sauce will
evaporate. Adjust the heat as necessary so nuts and spices don't
burn. The nuts are done when the contents are relatively dry - the
nuts should be crunchy not soggy.]

This is a snack. Adjust spices to suit your personal taste. Serve
with beer or iced sweet syrup drinks.