[Sca-cooks] porter cake

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Dec 23 21:34:36 PST 2003

Cailte gave her porter cake recipe and commented:
> be warned that for this cake you kinda need an appreciation for bitter
> flavors... like porter...
I don't know if I've ever had porter. Even with 3/4 pound of brown
sugar it is bitter?
Despite this it still sounds interesting and fairly easy.
> Porter Cake
>      from Real Irish Cookery (bought for 70p in ireland 5 yrs ago....
>      tiny little booklet from a visitor information center in dublin

> 1 bottle porter (enuf to make a batter... no oz. given. guess you gotta
>     know how much porter is vended in a bottle in Ireland... I use
>     guiness)
So, does Guiness come in one size? If not, how much did *you* use?

> Sieve the flour and rub in the butter;
"rub in the butter"? What does this mean? I've heard of folding in the
butter. Is this something different?

> the 3 hour marks seemed excessive to me, so I use the toothpick
> test... seems not to harm it...
So, how close to 3 hours did you need? Two hours? Two and a half?

Thanks,
   Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas