[Sca-cooks] porter cake

karobert at unm.edu karobert at unm.edu
Wed Dec 24 19:05:11 PST 2003

Quoting Stefan li Rous <StefanliRous at austin.rr.com>:

> I don't know if I've ever had porter. Even with 3/4 pound of brown
> sugar it is bitter?

to me it is an undertone... like nutmeg or ginger (which of course go in
it as well).  course, i have fairly sensitive tastebuds...
\
> So, does Guiness come in one size? If not, how much did *you* use?

in our house, yes... the  size is empty!  bless the hubby...  8)
actually, i use about 6 oz... a nice cake batter consistency    like i
mentioned before, i am a bit of an intuitive cook... for better or worse
(why won't apples, cranberries, and butter go with black pepper and
rosemary?  they go with chicken and pork?  actually, go together really
well, esp with some walnuts in it).

> > Sieve the flour and rub in the butter;
> "rub in the butter"? What does this mean? I've heard of folding in
> the
> butter. Is this something different?

i assume again (venacular...made a lot of leaps of faith with this
little gem of a book) that this might be like biscuits.  however, i melt
mine and put it with the other ingredients.  sorta treat it like a
coffee cake, only looser.

> So, how close to 3 hours did you need? Two hours? Two and a half?

depends on the day and how much i have used the oven and if i am doing
muffin tins for gifts or ring mold for home.... prolly closer to 2.

cailte
looking forward to cooking a fine dinner tomorrow, albeit only for hubby
and myself