[Sca-cooks] Italian Nougat recipe

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Dec 26 18:48:48 PST 2003

A while back I got an inquiry asking for a source of edible rice paper
in New York. I either forwarded this to Adamantius and/or to this list.
I just got the following reply and the recipe, which I am pasting
below. I believe it must have been Adamantius who pointed her to this
candy and cooking shop as *I* certainly don't know that area very well.
But this shop might be worth dropping in on if I'm ever back in that
area.

Stefan

> Dear Stefan: Thanks to your wonderful directions, I found the edible
> wafer paper about which your wrote me about in early December> It
> was indeed found in the candy and cooking shop on 56 W. 22nd --
> they do seem to have everything.
>
> As promised, below I attach the recipe for the Italian nougat that
> set this whole search in motion......my mother adds her thanks for
> allowing us to restore a tradition for Christmas, and everyone else
> on the email -- enjoy the candies as well!
>
> with best wishes and many thanks!
>
> ali miller

Italian Nougat (from the NYTimes Cookbook, Craig Claiborne, 1961)
Courtesy of Marie V. Miller

[about 1 1/2 pounds]

2 1/2 c shelled and slivered almonds
1/2 t. salt
1/2 cup pistachios, blanched*
2 egg whites, room temperature
1 c. sugar
1/2 c. honey
1/2 c water
1 t. vanilla extract
3 T. light corn syrup

1. [If you don't have slivered almonds, to sliver them you must
blanch the almonds, and while soft, cut lengthwise into slivers]
2. Blanch the pistachios and let dry by spreading out on paper
towels (to blanch nuts, cover with boiling water, let stand 5
minutes, drain and slip off the skins)
3. In a one-quart saucepan combine the sugar, water, 1/2 the corn
syrup and the salt. Cook stirring until the sugar dissolves. Cook to
290 F (syrup forms a brittle ball in cold water). Remove from heat
4. [just before or at the same time] in a large bowl, beat the egg
whites until stiff but not dry. Add the cooked syrup gradually,
beating the whole time.
5. Boil together the honey and the remaining corn syrup to 290 F.
Add gradually, while beating to the egg mixture.  Add the pistachios
and almonds.
6. Stand the bowl of mixture on a rack in a pan of boiling water and
steam, stirring occasionally, until a spoonful of the candy, cooled,
is not sticky to the touch, or about 1 and 1/2 hours.   Add the
vanilla.
7. Line an 11 x 7-inch pan with wafer paper (rice paper), turn the
nougat into the pan and cover with the wafer paper. (Place a pan of
the same size on top of the candy and press with a heavy weight. [I
use a dictionary] Let stand overnight or longer.
8. Turn the candy out of the pan and cut into 1 1/2 by 1/2 inch bars.
Wrap in freezer or foil paper; store in a cool place in a covered
tin box.
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com