[Sca-cooks] Italian Nougat recipe

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius at verizon.net
Fri Dec 26 21:43:55 PST 2003

Also sprach Stefan li Rous:
>A while back I got an inquiry asking for a source of edible rice
>paper in New York. I either forwarded this to Adamantius and/or to
>this list. I just got the following reply and the recipe, which I am
>pasting below. I believe it must have been Adamantius who pointed
>her to this candy and cooking shop as *I* certainly don't know that
>area very well. But this shop might be worth dropping in on if I'm
>ever back in that area.

I don't remember if it was from the list or you sent it directly to
me, but I do remember sending the lady to that store on 22nd Street.
It's the New York Cake and Confectionery Supply Company (at least
that's what it says on their sign). Their website is at
http://www.nycake.com . They seem, for simplicity's sake, to have
shortened their name to NY Cake Supply.

However, the store is nothing less than a confectioners' Disneyland,
as far as I can tell. I could see Olwen making a full day of it, at
the very least. (This is where I bought the chocolate for making the
truffles.)

It's one of the two absolutely-don't-miss NYC foodie stores (for
tools and equipment, plus confectionery ingredients, but not food
food), the other being J.B. Prince & Co. Both appear from the outside
to be dingey holes in the wall (Prince doesn't even have a
storefront, it's on the eighth floor of an office building), but both
are great places for cooks to get lost in for hours, both very
serious places and absolutely devoid of all pretention.

Adamantius