[Sca-cooks] Madrone Culinary Guild's "Feudal Gourmet" series

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Dec 28 16:31:40 PST 2003

  Kirsten Houseknecht commented:
> thats it... i am lousy with names sorry! yes the Madrone culinary
> guild? cooks guild?
Thank you for clarifying this. I was wondering if this was the pamphlet
series you were speaking of. On the otherhand, I was wondering if this
might be another interesting series to direct folks to...
> i have several booklets, and they list a lot of useful info, along with
> a varietty of recipes.. i liked the one that was all foods for a 14th?
> Century feast....
These pamphlets, as well as a source for them, can be found in this
Florilegium file in the FOOD-BOOKS section:
cookbooks-SCA-msg (27K)  9/29/00    Cookbooks written by people in the
SCA.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BOOKS/cookbooks-SCA-msg.html
Hmmm. Let me just post the last message I have from these folks. This
one is not in this file, yet. Sorry. I guess when I can get to it...
> From: "E. Rain" <raghead at liripipe.com>
> To: <sca-cooks at ansteorra.org>
> Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 14:40:06 -0700
> Subject: [Sca-cooks] Pamphlet on Medieval Spanish Food finally
> available
>
> "A Brief Overview of Early Spanish Cuisine" , the latest in the Madrone
> culinary Guild's  "Feudal Gourmet" series, is now available.  This
> pamphlet
> includes all the recipes from this years Madrone Baronial Banquet,
> along
> with lots of information on medieval Spanish cuisine in general.  The
> cost
> is $3.00 plus shipping.
>
> And here's the rundown on all the pamphlets we have at this point
> since i
> know otherwise someone will ask for it ;->
>
> The Madrone Culinary Guild (Seattle, WA) produces a series of small
> pamphlets called the Feudal Gourmet series.  Each Recipe includes the
> original medieval text when possible & then our modern reconstruction
> (with
> a translation
> into English if necessary):
>
> An Apician Feast - Our pamphlet on Roman cookery. Excellent recipes
> (using
> the controversial Vehling Garum theory) and discussion of Roman food in
> general. $2
>
> A Weekend at the Staggering Hedgehog Inn - a collection of (mostly)
> 15th c.
> English recipes arranged as a weekends worth of meals  $3
>
> Fall Inn - a small collection of (mostly) English 14thc. foods
> mentioned in
> the writings of Chaucer $2
>
> A Culinary Reference Manual - our pamphlet of what foods are period,
> how to
> reconstruct recipes etc, includes an extensive bibliography & glossary
> of
> medieval culinary terms. $3 Freshly updated in 2000!
>
> French Food in The Rennaissance - A collection of recipes from Late
> Period
> France, (mostly La Varenne)  $3
>
> A Brief Overview of Early spanish Cuisine - a collection of recipes
> from 4
> different periods (13th to the 17th century), and discussion of Spanish
> cuisine in general. $3
>
> the set of 6 pamphlets is $16
> we hope to have various other pamphlets available soon.
>
> checks should be made out to The Madrone Culinary Guild for the cost
> of the
> cookbooks you are ordering plus postage.  I generally ask for $1.00
> for 1
> large or 2 small pamphlets (you can tell size by cost), $3.00 for a
> set of
> 6, and after that I have to weigh them...
>
> Send checks made out to the Madrone Culinary Guild to
> [...]

Stefan
Who also needs to get some of these pamphlets ordered...
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com