[Sca-cooks] breaded pork shish-kabobs?

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Dec 29 16:13:24 PST 2003

Marina commented and asked:
> There are four or five med. small pieces of pork to a skewer.  The
> meat is
> marinated overnight and then the next day threaded onto the skewer and
> then coated in an egg and flour mixture.
Sounds a lot like the Pommedorry I made recently (from Curye on
Inglysch) except that was meatballs instead of meat pieces and it used
a coating of egg yolks and saffron. Some other similar period recipes
use an egg, flour and saffron mixture, though.
>  They are then placed/packed upright into
> a roasting pan, so that the fat pools around the ends of the sticks,
> and
> baked in a moderate oven.
Upright? I guess that means short sticks or a tall oven. How do you
hold these upright? Do you stick them into something? Or is just a deep
pan and then are stuffed in tightly? But I'm not sure you want them
touching if they are coated.
> I am sure I have some Ukrainian recipes in one of my books here which I
> can send to you.  I don't know the parental recipe but can get it for
> you
> if you are interested.
Please post them to the list. They sound period or to have direct
period ancestors, even if we don't have much evidence to go by for
Ukrainian or Eastern European cooking.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas