[Sca-cooks] obscure measurements

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Dec 28 17:45:14 PST 2003

Cailte mentioned:
> but i think that watered down wine and the cheese glass full of beer at
> crabfeasts de-mystified drinking for us kids, which is a good thing.
A "cheese glass"? LoL! I imagine what you are speaking of are the tiny,
glass jars that pimento cheese and similar items came (come?) in. I
think I've still got one or two around, although I think they are a bit
small to be useful, these days. I guess I drink more juice than I used
to.

But this got me to thinking about obscure measurements and I could see
this being used these days and someone in a hundred years trying to
figure out just how much a cheese glass of something was. Sort of like
some of the measures that have come up here before from a Victorian
(tea?) spoon measure to how long a particular prayer was, which was
used for timing in a medieval recipe.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas