[Sca-cooks] about crock pots

a5foil a5foil at ix.netcom.com
Tue Dec 2 09:06:10 PST 2003

The food inside the crock pot still reaches temperatures that kill off the
nasties, and since slow cooking keeps it at those temperatures for an
extended period of time it is quite safe. I don't remember the exact points
for sterlization in brewing (it's Tom's thing) but I do know that a lower
temperature (150 degrees or so) for a longer period has the same effect as a
higher temperature for a shorter period.

Any period stew should translate well to a crock pot, especially if it
doesn't call for browning the meat first.

Cynara