[Sca-cooks] OP: shrimps

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Dec 2 20:54:45 PST 2003

Serena commented:
> Now, if we are ever on the coast together I will teach you how to throw
> a cast net and pop their little heads off just before you put them into
> the boil.
Oh! I was wondering how the medieval folks fished for shrimp because I
thought that shrimp lived in the ocean depths and I wasn't sure the
technology existed then. But from Serena's comments I assume that this
cast net is a net that can be thrown out by one person.

I've bought shrimp fresh off of the shrimp boats on the Texas gulf
coast, but these were not small boats. The size must be for being able
to handle larger nets or to go out further because of depleted supplies
near shore.

Anybody have any details on period shrimping or the boats used? I doubt
they were growing shrimp in ponds on the land. :-) I've seen a variety
of different shrimp in the stores today. Are there substantial
differances between the shrimp that the medieval folk would have been
getting in Europe and the ones for sale today, other than perhaps
color? Is there any indication in the recipes how big the medieval
shrimps served were?

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas