[Sca-cooks] OP: shrimps

Dan Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Fri Dec 5 10:28:52 PST 2003

Was written:

I've seen a variety
> of different shrimp in the stores today. Are there substantial
> differances between the shrimp that the medieval folk would have been
> getting in Europe and the ones for sale today, other than perhaps
> color? Is there any indication in the recipes how big the medieval
> shrimps served were?

Yes there is a variety of shrimp currently available and, at least around
here the fresh stuff is sold in fish markets by the number of shrimp per
pound, i.e. 12/15, meaning 12 to 15 shrimp per pound.  People should be
aware that there is a lot of shrimp currently being imported from Asia and
it is adversely affecting the Gulf coast and Atlantic coast shrimping
industry.  I've a friend who has a boat and his industry organization is
trying to get shrimp labeled by point of origin.  Chances are that if you
order shrimp in a chain seafood restaurant you will be served the imported
stuff.

Daniel