[Sca-cooks] Period Foods: How to Fake It!

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Thu Dec 4 09:29:09 PST 2003

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003, Cera Chonaill wrote:

> I’m looking a running a simple periods cooking discussion at our 12th night
> (the feast of fools) on how to do period lunches and off board meals without
> needing to research recipes. Bottom line, how to make it appear and even
> possibly taste like period food without any real work. Things like foods
> that can be prepped ahead of time, stand up to travel and can be eaten cold.
>
> To this end, for the fun of it, I thought I’d ask the list, how have you
> faked it in the past. What more modern recipes have you passed of as period
> (looking) to make your life simpler and table spread look more authentic?

Why fake it? There are so many easy period recipes out there, why bother
using modern ones? Besides, I would never try to pass a modern recipe off
as period. That's just wrong.

> Before you answer that, BBQ chicken for the grocery store doesn’t count
> since whom here hasn’t done that at least once. :-)

Um, me? Nope. Never have, in any of the feasts I've ever been
involved in, never will.

> In Service and making a messing of her kitchen,
>
> Cera

Margaret, whose stove no longer smells of myrrh when the front
burners are tuned on (finally!)