[Sca-cooks] Period Foods: How to Fake It!

david friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Thu Dec 4 10:40:47 PST 2003

>The question isn't about proclaiming an item to be period when it's
>not but fooling the eye and taste to give a lunch or off board table
>the feel/look of period. When people as you tell them what it is,
>that way they can see that it doesn't take that much effort or time
>to trying to make a table feel/look more period.

But you are teaching them that the limited time and effort they have
should be put into faking it instead of doing it for real. Why?

To take the argument one step further, what do you mean by "feel/look
more period?" If someone isn't doing period cooking he probably
doesn't know what period food would be like, so what he ends up doing
is making the table feel/look more like what a 21st century person
imagines period food to be--thus reinforcing whatever errors his
diners already have. And if someone is doing period cooking, than
making the meal period is no more work than faking it--probably less,
since it avoids the difficult problem of figuring out what modern
things are period in look/feel. We already know period things are.

This is related to the common SCA practice of "documenting" a recipe
by first taking a modern recipe, then finding some grounds for
claiming it corresponds to a period recipe. If you do it honestly
it's a lot more work than starting with a period recipe, since you
are going to have to go through a lot of period recipes before you
find one that fits--if you ever do. It's rather like ordering out for
pizza by dialing phone numbers at random until you find one that
turns out to be a pizza takeout place.

And in practice the temptation, since you know what answer you want,
is to do it dishonestly--to find some recipe that with sufficient
effort can be misread to have some similarity to your period recipe.
For a horrible example, see C.A. 79.
--
David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/