[Sca-cooks] Almond Jello (was Period Foods: How to Fake It!)

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 5 09:56:39 PST 2003

--- a5foil <a5foil at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> > If memory serves, we used the Asian style
> > almond gel, which is based on agar-agar, a
> seaweed product and not an
> > animal product at all.  And yummy.
> >
> > Selene C.
>
> This sounds interesting -- where does one get
> it, and how does it compare to
> regular gelatin? I am in the process of
> converting all my recipes to
> non-allergenic stuff, and have been completely
> stumped by jello.
>
> Cynara

If you read my previous message, it really isn't
gelatin free.  It is just as easy to use, but it
takes just a tad longer to set.  You can also
make jigglers with it.  Also, with the DoFu
Delight, you add milk to it, which I hadn't
mentioned in my previous message.

You can get agar/gelatin desserts in your Asian
food sections or, if you have them, your Asian
food markets, which is where I get mine.

Huette

=====
shall never cease to be amused.