[Sca-cooks] Almond Jello (was Period Foods: How to Fake It!)

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 5 10:00:36 PST 2003

>>If memory serves, we used the Asian style
>>almond gel, which is based on agar-agar, a seaweed product and not an
>>animal product at all.  And yummy.
>>
>>Selene C.
>>

>This sounds interesting -- where does one get it, and how does it compare to
>regular gelatin? I am in the process of converting all my recipes to
>non-allergenic stuff, and have been completely stumped by jello.
>
>Cynara

Health food stores and Asian markets will stock the basic agar stuff,
Asian markets have it in various flavors such as Almond, Red Bean and
plain.  The plain is very plain indeed, just a sweet substrate for other
flavors to be added.  I once served sparkling plain agar gelly with
Japanese plum wine sprinkled over as a summer cooler -- and then found
out that Iron Chef Morimoto had done exactly the same thing on the TV
show as well!  That didn't hurt my feelings any. <preen>

You already read ingredient lists carefully, so you won't be caught by
sneaky bits of animal protein that someone might slip in.  As Huette has
read, some brands of the nice white almond type gel have bits of milk
product, which might cause your esteemed husband ill.

Here are some web pages:
http://www.tcwellness.com/issues/2001/08/12.html
http://whatscookingamerica.net/Q-A/Agar.htm [how to substitute in recipes!]
http://www.rwood.com/Recipes/Better_than_JellO.htm