[Sca-cooks] candied orange peel

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Sat Dec 6 10:26:34 PST 2003

How long can one store the candied peel?
It depends how long one candies them, the recipe ones uses, the method, etc.
If you candy and then dry the peels, you can expect them to last months.
I store in plastic containers. Moisture content and a combination
of wet and sweetness can lead to molds, so be careful. You can do them
and freeze them but watch the thawing process. I push mine through
increasingly dense sugar syrups until they crystallize, so
I dry mine with crystals of sugar on them. They keep very well.
I use organic oranges at times, but will also just use run of the mill
oranges from the local supermarket. My peels get run through 2-3-4
boiling water baths and I figure that will take care of any surface
contaminations.

Hope this helps.

Johnnae llyn Lewis