[Sca-cooks] stuffing birds with...birds....

Heleen Greenwald heleen at ptdprolog.net
Mon Dec 8 13:24:26 PST 2003

Ok, I admit it, I feel intimidated now!
Phillipa
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Lorenz Wieland
  To: Cooks within the SCA
  Sent: Monday, December 08, 2003 1:07 PM
  Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] stuffing birds with...birds....

  Heleen Greenwald wrote:
  > Anybody want to volunteer to write out *HOW* to debone all these
  > birds?  Any time I've deboned anything, I've left half the meat
  > behind  (not on purpose) and I'm quite sure I could not do a good
  > enough job to both REMOVE the bones AND leave the skin / meat intact.
  > Phillipa

  The basic pattern is to remove the wishbone with your fingers, cut away the
  backbone with stout kitchen/poultry shears (cutting up each side of the
  spine), open the bird up, and pull out the ribcage and breastbone from the
  inside.

  Check out Jacques Pepin's "Complete Techniques" for a very good photo
  walk-through.

  -Lorenz