[Sca-cooks] washing birds...

Diana Skaggs liadan at pldi.net
Mon Dec 8 14:47:09 PST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sayyida Halima al-Shafi'i of Raven's Cove" <lkuney at ec.rr.com>
To: <sca-cooks at ansteorra.org>
Sent: Monday, December 08, 2003 9:42 AM
Subject: [Sca-cooks] washing birds...

> The towel serves to "massage" the chickens helping to clean them and
> serves as a buffer while the chickens are agitating.  We used to do this
> every year when butchering.  I don't give advice or suggest things based
> on theoretical knowledge unless I clearly state it is theoretical.
>  Comparing it to a "stunt" and picking it to pieces certainly doesn't
> seem like a courteous way to ask for further information to me-it feels
> like ridicule.

I have to admit when I first read this I got the wierdest picture in my
mind. (Including "a new way of making 'pressed duck'!)
I've been involved in butchering chickens for a long time, and had never
heard of putting chickens in the washing machine. I even have a wringer
washer (hence the 'pressed duck'). That's why I had so many questions. Do
you still sear the pinfeathers before you wash the birds?

And I thought using the turkey fryer to boil the dipping water was a great
innovation!

Liadan