[Sca-cooks] washing birds...

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Dec 8 23:46:33 PST 2003

  Sayyida Halima al-Shafi'i replied to me with:
> The towel serves to "massage" the chickens helping to clean them and
> serves as a buffer while the chickens are agitatin.
Ah. Okay, this helps explain why the chicken doesn't get battered too
much. As well as the fact that the birds would stay submiraged and not
actually get hit with high pressure sprays as might happen in the
"cooking fish in the dishwasher" method. Do you wrap each chicken/bird
in a towel? Or just toss in a towel with a load of birds?
> We used to do this
> every year when butchering.  I don't give advice or suggest things
> based
> on theoretical knowledge unless I clearly state it is theoretical.
Sorry, I've not seen you post here long enough to know such details
about you or how you post. But even knowing this, I would probably
still want to ask many of the questions I did. By temperment and
training I'm an engineer.
>   Comparing it to a "stunt" and picking it to pieces certainly doesn't
> seem like a courteous ay to ask for further information to me-it feels
> like ridicule.
Again, my apologies. I realized upon reading your reply that "stunt"
was probably a poor choice of words and pushed a button or two. But I
still don't have a good way otherwise to describe the "cook the fish in
the dishwasher" method. While a few people have tried that after the
initial news reports got posted various places, I doubt anyone does
this on a regular basis. People do it just to see or show that it can
be done. And I wasn't directly comparing the two procedures, rather the
effect that hearing about them has on people.

Both do raise questions about sanitation and food safety. These
concerns may be shown to have no validity upon further examination, but
it is wisest to consider them rather than to simply decide they are or
are not a problem without looking into it. There was a similar concern
recently raised here about cooking foods, especially meats, for long
periods in crockpots. A couple of folks quickly gave replies that put
these concerns to rest.

As others have pointed out, asking multiple questions is often how I
approach things. Its much more economical to learn from someone else's
mistakes than to make my own. Then at least mine are original. Whether
I believe or agree with something or not, I will often ask questions. I
have found that I often ask questions that other folks, for one reason
or another, are not willing to ask. I've made a fool of myself enough
here that one more "stupid" question is not going to make much
difference. If you read Admiral Rickover's (the creator of the US
nuclear navy) autobiography you will find that he operated on much the
same methodology. And often that "stupid" question that I thought would
result in a simple one line answer has resulted in a rather complex
thread and we find out there *wasn't* a simple answer after all.

And yes, I will often try to find unusual items for the Florilegium.
People seem to be drawn to them more so than more common things. But
while they are there looking at the oddities in the Florilegium they
might just find some other less unusual info that will be of use. Just
as an example of some of the weird stuff in the Florilegium, here are a
few examples.
chasity-belts-msg (14K)  9/12/97    Chasity belts in the Middle Ages.
Narfing-Iron-art  (12K) 10/23/00    "A Brief Beginner's Guide to
Documentation"
                                        by Lady Jehanne de Huguenin.
teething-toys-msg (22K)  1/ 5/01    Period and SCA teething toys for
infants.
ear-wax-msg        (3K) 10/ 3/00    Use of ear wax in period.
urine-uses-msg     (6K) 10/ 6/99    Period uses of animal and human
urine.
eunuchs-msg        (6K)  3/30/00    Eunuchs and castration in period.