[Sca-cooks] waiting...

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Tue Dec 9 21:12:21 PST 2003

>AEduin commented:
>Also the type of knife helps.  I like a knife I got years ago and don't
>know if I can replace it.  It's a small Chicago Cutlery paring knife that
>has the point on the spine of the blade with the edge curving up to meet
>it.  It makes it nice for small precise work like not shredding a bird
>while I bone it.
><<<<
>Okay, I'm not quite sure about what the point on this knife looks like. The
"spine" is the back of the knife opposite the edge (on a single edged
knife), right? Other than a few knives that I can think of that have a
blunter, straight edge from a sort of corner to the point of the blade,
don't all blades curve from the blade edge up the point of the knife,
usually at the spine of the knife or near it? Or do you mean that the curve
from the edge to the point of the knife is fairly steeply curved? I take it
you want to be able to slice the tendons(?) holding the skin/meat to the
bone with the forward edge rather than with the portion of the edge running
parallel to the spine of the knife?

>I know you mentioned you don't know if you could replace it, but do you
know any pictures on the web which shows a similar knife, even if they are
for cheap knock-offs?

>Stefan

A lot of paring knives have a partially clipped point that angles down from
the spine to the blade and reduces the curve of the blade.  The knife Aeduin
is describing has a longer deeper curve on the point edge which is a  better
for long, easy cuts in flesh.  It is a more delicate version of a skinning
knife.

Bear