[Sca-cooks] Recipe request- ot?

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Thu Dec 11 07:36:08 PST 2003

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> Shopping at Costo pre-thanksgiving, my sweetie picked up a 2qt tub of
> sour cream- anybody have a recipe or something to use this up before it
> goes green on me? Can sour cream be parceled out and frozen for later?
> Frugal minds need to know!
> Thanks in advance, Betsy

You can use sour cream pretty much anywhere you'd use milk, cream or yogurt
in a recipe, as long as the flavors are reasonably compatible (and you like
the sourness of sour cream). Obviously, dips come to mind, but it does well
in mashed potatoes (make them with garlic, roast or powder, and/or other
finely minced oniony things- onions, chives, scallions, shallots), use in
cream of whatzit soups, either commercial or home made, works in quick
breads as part of the liquid measurement, goes well in dollops in a thick
vegetable stew, a la borsht, works as part of a chicken coating for oven
baked or fried chicken- there's an African recipe I need another copy of
that used sour cream or yogurt, mixed with various spices that was killer.

I intend to use it in Janssen's Temptation, next time I get a jones for it-
Janssen's Temptation is basicly very thinly sliced potatoes and onions,
layered with a bit of anchovy (not a lot), with cream poured over, dotted
with butter, and baked, with more cream added at the halfway point- a
Scandanavian version of scalloped potatoes, and VERY good- the anchovy isn't
over powering, just adds a tingle of flavor, and means you don't add salt
;-)

Just remember, that like any milk product, you need to control the heat or
it will separate.

I envy you- I can think of much worse things to "try to use up" ;-)

Saint Phlip,
CoDoLDS

 Blacksmith's credo.

cat.