[Sca-cooks] OOP - Fw: Jasper and The Uncooked Yeast Rolls

Tara Sersen Boroson tara at kolaviv.com
Thu Dec 11 13:34:23 PST 2003

> LOL!  I have lots of sympathy for this lady, I have Tegan, a "chow
> hound" of a different breed but the same inclination.  This is the
> critter who craves chocolate, knows about M&M's and got herself
> awfully sick once by nibbling on ibuprofen.  Chocolate has no apparent
> negative effect on her, but ibuprofen causes ulcers in dogs.  Poor
> little thing had to take ulcer medication for weeks.   Then there was
> the night Tegan got into the chocolate covered espresso beans.  It was
> the Puppianapolis 500 All Night Long.

Please, please, please don't let your dog eat chocolate!  I know it
happens sometimes by accident, but I can't believe how many people
refuse to believe the danger and feed it to them on purpose.  (And I do
mean "refuse to believe", not "haven't heard of the danger".  One lady
told me outright that she doesn't believe it because her dog has been
ill from eating brownies, so she'll keep giving him brownies and cookies
as treats and won't be careful about leaving candy around.)  Even
snopes.com confirms it: http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/cocoa.htm.

The offending chemical is theobromine, and it causes cardiac arrhythmia
and seizures.  The amount of theobromine in chocolate varies based on
the percentage of cacao, so it's impossible to say exactly how much of
any given chocolate will affect a dog unless you know that percentage
exactly.  But, the rule of thumb is: for milk chocolate, one ounce per
pound of body weight; for semi-sweet, one ounce per 4 pounds; for
bittersweet, one ounce per 9 pounds.

For my 70-lb ex-dog, Cooper, (long story, not chocolate related), that
worked out to danger levels of about 4-1/2 pounds of milk chocolate, 17
ounces of semi-sweet chocolate, or 8 ounces of bittersweet chocolate.
That means it's highly unlikely he could have eaten enough M&Ms or
brownies to endanger himself.  But, a one pound bag of chocolate chips
could have killed him, or an 8 ounce bar of Baker's chocolate.  And he
definately could have eaten either of those if we'd ever been careless
with them.  (He did down an entire pound of peanut M&Ms once.  Since it
was far from the critical level, we were more peeved to lose our candy!)

More references, for those who still refuse to believe:
http://www.dogbreederonline.com/chocolate.htm
http://www.supervet.co.uk/dog/chocolate.html
http://www.talktothevet.com/ARTICLES/DOGS/chocolatetoxic.HTM

To lighten the mood, though, and commisserate about the things dogs will
eat if given half a chance :)  Cooper's most exciting snacking adventure
was a half a carton of chocolate-flavored Viactive calcium chews.  You
know, those little foil wrapped candy-like calcium supplements?  The
canister had been on the counter for weeks, and one day he decided to
investigate.  He ate every one - foil wrappers and all.  It was
approximately half-full.  We worked it out to be about 15,000 mg of
calcium.  I wasn't worried about the chocolate, since I figured there
was very little real chocolate in them.  But, the foil wrappers
concerned me.  The vet said not to worry, though, because dogs are
natural garbage disposals.  Sure enough, they came out nice and sparkly
two days later.  Never seemed to bother him a bit, though my husband
(who was walking him when they finally made their way through,) said the
excretion process was... explosive.

-Magdalena

--
Tara Sersen Boroson

You cannot teach a man anything, you can only help him to find it for himself. - Galileo Galilei