[Sca-cooks] OOP - Fw: Jasper and The Uncooked Yeast Rolls

Tara Sersen Boroson tara at kolaviv.com
Thu Dec 11 18:50:51 PST 2003

Selene, I'm sorry if I made you feel that I was berating you!  This is
just one of my favorite crusades, and I guess I spout off pretty quickly
whenever the topic comes up ;)  But, it still amazes me to see how many
people don't know, or worse don't believe, that it is true.

I see that I made a typo in my first post: I meant to say that the lady
who doesn't believe chocolate hurts dogs feels this way because her dog
has *never* been ill from eating brownies.

You are very right about Acetominiphan.  Also, onions and garlic are
extremely dangerous.  The chemical thiosulphate in the allium family
causes haemolytic or Heinz body anemia, in which the red blood cells
become deformed and burst.  The red blood cell count drops rapidly and
the urine turns brown from the kidney's effort to get rid of the dead
cells and waste products.  Another dangerous one is Echinacea.  And
vitamin C - humans are one of few species that need vit. C in our diet
because we don't produce this vitamin in our own bodies.  Pets do
produce it, and can easily be exposed to too much by people who give
them human vitamins.  Too much vitamin A can be dangerous, and liver has
a high amount of vit. A, so it should be fed sparingly.  And, even a
very small amount of macadamia nuts can cause painful muscle tremors and
paralysis, though in all clinical examples of this the dogs have
fortunately recovered.

I cooked Cooper's food for him, and plan to do so for our next dog.  I
believe wholeheartedly in a whole foods diet for any critter, human or
otherwise.  But, we all have to remember that different animals
metabolize things differently, and a whole food diet for a pet doesn't
look like a whole food diet for a human!

-Magdalena

--
Tara Sersen Boroson

You cannot teach a man anything, you can only help him to find it for himself. - Galileo Galilei