[Sca-cooks] mixers

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Fri Dec 12 10:11:20 PST 2003

> > Try adding less and using the pulse mode and you should find a happy
> > way of getting a more desireabe consistency.
> Okay. Thanks. Yes, using the pulse mode did seem to help, but sometimes
> the larger stuff just floated on top of the ground up stuff.

This sounds like overloading the processor bin. If you are looking for
largeish chunks (not puree) never fill it more than half full when you are
using the chopping blade. (I own a food processor that is only used for
SCA cooking. It comes with me to events because it's a lot easier to
slice/chop/mix certain things that way.)

For many things, you can use the slicing blade, then either take the stuff
out and finish cutting it by hand. You can also cut things into largeish
chunks (quartered onions, for instance) and run them through the food
processor- mine will hold about 2-3 medium onions for 'chopped onions'.

> Can you actually get, say, quarter inch cubes of onions or green
> peppers with the food processor? Such as I guess you could get with a
> knife or a mandoline? Or just smaller stuff? Of course I can't always
> get the consistantly small size I want with a knife, either. Not unless
> I want to risk cutting my fingers.

You can get stuff that is 'about the same size' though not as neat. The
trick is figuring out what blade (chopper or slicer) to use, and how much
to put in, etc.

> For isntance, my mom was complaining about the amount of peppers and
> onions she had to chop up when she was cutting the stuff up for the
> Southwestern Dressing I was making for Thanksgiving. Chopping a bunch
> of vegetables up is not a favorite chore of mine, either. I considered
> trying to use the mandolin but couldn't figure out how to do the green
> peppers with it since they are hollow.

For a dressing, definitely a food processor is in order.

-- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"And sin, young man, is when you treat people as things. Including
yourself. That's what sin is." -- Terry Pratchett, _Carpe Jugulum_