Spanish bacon was [Sca-cooks] German bacon

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Sat Dec 13 21:37:07 PST 2003

This is *too* weird.  I've been trying to remember to post a similar
question, as I'm working through redactions for a feast in January
(recipe source is a certain someone's translation of de Nola ;o)
I'm playing with the Chopped Spinach tomorrow--trying the bacon version
and the non-bacon version.  In the recipe, there're pieces of bacon
added to the cooking pot, but I don't know what kind--if it was fatty,
like American bacon, it'd be pretty nasty in texture, since I don't
think the spinach needs to cook so long that the bacon is rendered.  I
thought maybe something meatier? And does anyone know if it's meant to
be fresh bacon, or was it preserved in some way (smoking, etc.)??
IIRC, Brighid, I've made the Welserin sausages, and I think I just
picked up a package of "bacon ends," because they were cheaper than
buying bacon strips, and were gonna get cut up anyways.  I went with a
fattier bacon because the other meats in the sausage were relatively
lean, and I wanted to add some fat to keep them juicy/moist.
--maire