[Sca-cooks] OT (OOP) Flu/Chili question

Robert Downie rdownie at mb.sympatico.ca
Mon Dec 15 12:05:29 PST 2003

Hrothny/Rosine wrote:

>  Wendy's chili. For some reason, it makes me feel better. I can
> understand that the warmth and the mild clearing effect of the (barely
> spicy) chili would do that, but - a craving? Comfort food? Beyond the two
> things I mentioned, is there some sort of ingredient in their chili that is
> somehow beneficial to sinus sufferers?

The potential medical benifits are beyond me (aside from the benifit you get
from inhaling any vapors from hot liquids, etc.  I've always found Wendy's chile
to be a bit on the soupy side).  There is a clone recipe for Wendy's Chile in _A
Treasury of Top Secret Recipes_.  I can't vouch for how close it is in
composition, but it apparently mimicks the flavour quite well.  None of the
ingredients strike me a s a medical cure, but YMMV.  You could always try making
a batch of it to have on hand and nuking it as needed.

2 lb ground beef
1 29oz can tomato sauce
1 29oz can kidney beans (with liquid)
1 29oz can pinto beans (with liquid)
1 cup diced onion
1/2 cup diced green chile (2 chiles)
1/4 cup diced celery (1 stalk)
3 medium tomatoes, chopped (like they'd use fresh tomatoes...hah!)
2 tsp cumin powder
3 T chile powder
1 1/2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp salt
2 cups water

Brown the ground beef in a skillet over medium heat; drain off the fat.  Using a
fork, crumble the cooked beef into bite sized pieces.  In a large pot, combine
the beef plus all the remaining ingredients,and bring to a simmer over low
heat.  Cook, stirring every 15 minutes, for 2 to 3 hours.  For spicier chile,
add 1/2 tsp more black pepper.  For much spicier chile, add 1 tsp black pepper
and 1 T cayenne pepper.  Leftovers can be frozen for several months.