[Sca-cooks] A small OT lecture from Auntie 'Lainie

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sun Dec 21 09:11:37 PST 2003

All good advice.

The problem really comes when the patient is incapacitated and can not make
their wishes known.  In such a case, the normal procedure is to defer to the
closest available relative, but there can be differences of opinion between
the family members which can hinder the treatment and even lead to court and
legislative involvement (as demonstrated by the recent life support case in
Florida).

A properly executed Advance Medical Directive in hand can give the
attorney-in-fact the clout they need to cut through the red tape.

Bear