[Sca-cooks] Favorite chocolate truffle recipe?

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius at verizon.net
Sun Dec 21 11:27:26 PST 2003

Also sprach ranvaig at columbus.rr.com:
>>  I just did the reduction of a full bottle for my batch, and got
>>about two Tablespoons of a syrup, which, when cooled to room temp.,
>>was about as thick as honey.
>
>How can you reduce it that far and not burn it?  That sounds so delicious!!
>
>Ranvaig

Use a heavy-bottomed pan, watch it carefully, and swirl it around to
wash down the sides (a standard syrup-boiling technique) to keep any
from sticking to the sides of the pan in layers thin enough to burn.
It oxidizes just a little, I suspect, but doesn't have to burn. And
perhaps I was unclear: it's not as thick as honey until it cools off.
It'll cook down to a glaze consistency: for a while it'll foam as it
boils, and then rather suddenly, the foaming will subside and you'll
be able to see the surface of your liquid again. That's your cue to
watch it carefully, because it's almost done. This rule works for a
number of syrupy reductions, such as glace de viand or de volaille
(which are stock reductions), sugar syrups, etc.

Adamantius