[Sca-cooks] Favorite chocolate truffle recipe?

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 22 09:25:33 PST 2003

Oh. My. God. That syrup sounds glorious, but...  Do you know how much
trouble I'd get in around here if I used up a whole bottle of Champagne
that way?  I just boiled a goose for fat and lovely stock, and at $7 USD
per pound my lord husband was Not Amused.  We do have a goodly pint or
more of goose fat though, perhaps some kind of confit will appease him.

As for putting peanut butter or other treats inside the truffle?
 Whyever not?  Do make the flavors compatible in some way.  I'm not sure
how wine flavor would go with peanut butter.  What wine =does= go with
peanut butter anyway?  Peanut butter should be in a fairly firm form,
maybe refrigerated or frozen, before trying to apply chocolate ganache
to the outside.  Aliter, cinnamon in the ganache over bits of candied
orange peel, however, sounds lurvely!

On making truffles with mostly clean hands:   I'm a big believer in the
ice cream scoop with the lever to release the food within.  I have a
little one for cookies, will need a littler one for truffles!  You could
probably get a decent "puff" [think Hersey's Kiss] if not a perfect
sphere if you use a pastry bag with a large circular opening.  I'm
thinking a pastry bag tip holder, only without the metal tip, just the
plastic conic section and wide circular opening.  Start extruding over a
saucer of dry cocoa [or whatever coating medium you are using, toasted
nuts, etc.].  Keep the tip low and in one place until the glob is as big
as you want it, then bring the tip up gently.  Roll carefully and you
won't get too much chocolate goo on your hands.  But Master A is right;
 a truffle is supposed to look globby and organic like an underground
fungus.  If you want a perfect manufactured sphere, go out and buy one!
 Home-made goodness should look home-made, I always say.  It's the
visual preview that says "this is going to taste better than anything
you could buy"!

Selene Colfox