[Sca-cooks] goose

Kristina Pohl ionization at shaw.ca
Tue Dec 23 09:20:13 PST 2003

At 06:04 AM 23/12/2003, you wrote:
>Message: 6
>Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 00:19:42 -0600
>From: Stefan li Rous <StefanliRous at austin.rr.com>
>Subject: [Sca-cooks] goose
>Kris commented:
>  > Use the goose meat for making goose pot pies. I buy chicken pieces
>  > *cheap* and boil them up for stock. The meat is usually so tender and
>  > flavourful at that point, I don't have to add many seasonings. mmm...
>  > I may do this tonight.
>I'm confused here. Are you using the meat that you have been boiling to
>get the stock? Or adding the cooked chicken to stock that you have
>gotten from another source, such as the goose or chicken? When we've
>discussed this previously, I thought I was told not to bother using the
>meat that had been boiled because that meat would be pretty tasteless,
>the flavor now having been transferred to the broth. Actually cooking
>the chicken in the goose broth seems like it might get you goose
>flavored chicken meat and thus make your goose go further.
>
>Stefan

Yup. I use it. It's flavoured by all the spices I've used in the stock.
Last time it was cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, etc. (The cinnamon was
*really* strong. I used one stick in a pot.) Adding the stock to the pot
pies works well too.

I'm not about to waste good chicken, and it's a major pain in the behind
for me to bone chicken legs.. so I just toss them in, and save the meat
later. :)

Kris
(Keep in mind I'm poor! If I want my stock, I've got to use what I make it
with.. and roasting a whole chicken and using the bones for stock is WAY
outta my budget range.)

All thoughts and fantasies
http://members.shaw.ca/ionization/