[Sca-cooks] German History was Food 1632

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Tue Dec 23 20:11:19 PST 2003

>> Bear
>> Remember that little cookbook by Sabina Welserin?  The Welsers were
>financed
>> a private expedition into South America in the late 1530s.  The Fuggers,
>> Welsers and Hochstetters were funding Spanish and Portuguese exploration
>and
>> had agents in most of the Mediterranean ports.  They had their fingers in
>> most of the trade pies in Europe.  If something was in Europe, it could
>get
>> to Germany, or at least Augsburg, quickly.
>
>OK Mister, where do you get all of this information? :)
>I would really like to learn more about all of these interesting things you
>have said about the Welsers et al... I believe I have asked this before,
>only  in not so many words. Are there any books that you could reccomend
and
>that I could acquire that I could learn more about this?
>
>Best Wishes for a Peaceful Holiday,
>Serena da Riva

Unfortunately, AFAIK, no one has written a history of the Augusburg banking
families.  The information I have has been gleaned from literally dozens of
different sources, mostly broad studies of economic history with paragraphs
on the Fuggers, Welsers and Hochstetters scattered here and there like
diamonds in peridotite.

Bear