[Sca-cooks] German History was Food 1632

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 24 02:32:33 PST 2003

--- Terry Decker <t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net>
wrote:

> >> Bear
> >> Remember that little cookbook by Sabina
> Welserin?  The Welsers were
> >financed
> >> a private expedition into South America in
> the late 1530s.  The Fuggers,
> >> Welsers and Hochstetters were funding
> Spanish and Portuguese exploration
> >and
> >> had agents in most of the Mediterranean
> ports.  They had their fingers in
> >> most of the trade pies in Europe.  If
> something was in Europe, it could
> >get
> >> to Germany, or at least Augsburg, quickly.
> >
> >OK Mister, where do you get all of this
> information? :)
> >I would really like to learn more about all of
> these interesting things you
> >have said about the Welsers et al... I believe
> I have asked this before,
> >only  in not so many words. Are there any
> books that you could reccomend
> and
> >that I could acquire that I could learn more
> about this?
> >
> >Best Wishes for a Peaceful Holiday,
> >Serena da Riva
>
> Unfortunately, AFAIK, no one has written a
> history of the Augusburg banking
> families.  The information I have has been
> gleaned from literally dozens of
> different sources, mostly broad studies of
> economic history with paragraphs
> on the Fuggers, Welsers and Hochstetters
> scattered here and there like
> diamonds in peridotite.
>
> Bear

Actually Bear there are several books written on
the Welser family and several on the Venezuela
debacle.  Unfortunately, they are all written
in German and/or Spanish.  If you would like a
list of these books I can give them to you.
However, I cannot find that any of these have
ever been translatedinto English.

I have also been meaning to scold you for only
mentioning Sabina and forgetting to mention
Philippine Welser, who not only wrote a cookbook,
but also married, in secret, the Holy Roman
Emperor's second son, the Archduke Ferdinand.
She was much more notable than her cousin Sabina.

My interest has not been so much with the Welsers
as it has been with the von Huttons, both Ulrich
and Phillip, both of whom lead interesting lives
and figure prominently in my persona story.

Huette

=====
shall never cease to be amused.