[Sca-cooks] My Christmas dinner & LOOT

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius at verizon.net
Fri Dec 26 08:31:34 PST 2003

Also sprach Robin Carroll-Mann:
>Christmas dinner was a beef roast, accompanied by roasted root
>vegetables, and my first-ever Yorkshire pudding.  It came out well,
>but would have been better with some gravy, I think.

Yes, it's a conundrum. If you either roast the vegetables in the same
pan as the beef, or cook the pudding in it (some older recipes
recommend this), gravy integrity can be compromised.

My solution was to pre-brown the seasoned vegetables in a very hot
wok with just a touch of the beef dripping, and add them to the meat
pan to finish cooking in much less time. I had done this successfully
for Thanksgiving, so decided it was the way to go.

The vegetables are less likely to burn before they're done, don't
stick to the pan as much, and leave behind some juice and some fat in
the pan.

The pudding I baked in my usual iron skillet, with some spooned-in
beef dripping from the meat pan, heated on the stove-top until nearly
smoking, then filled with the batter and placed in the hot oven while
the meat was resting, and while it was cooking, made gravy from the
contents of the meat pan (brown roux plus beef stock used to deglaze
the pan) and added some of the juice from the meat itself, while
slicing...

And then, of course, I hear cloudberry preserves are also nice on
Yorkshire pudding.

Adamantius