[Sca-cooks] My Christmas dinner

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 26 15:13:11 PST 2003

--- Michael Gunter <countgunthar at hotmail.com>
wrote:

> My roomie and I will
> be going to see The Return of the King so that
> will be enough
> of a treat.

If you react to it the way I and my apprentices
did when we went to see it a week ago, you will
have your socks blown off.  The gathering of the
Riders of Rohan before they ride off to help
Gondor looked so much like an SCA war encampment,
with the exception of no mundane tents in sight.
In fact, some of the pavilions they show look
suspiciously like pavilions that I have seen made
in Southron Gard/New Zealand that I am wondering
if they had been made by one of our members
there.  The sight of thousands upon thousands
upon thousands of soldiers, battle towers, and
catapaults outside the gates of Minas Tireth was
soooo impressive, it gave a real feeling of that
it must have been like to be in a castle besieged
by a massive army.  And the scene where the
thousands of Rohan riders swarm over the
thousands of orc soldiers is truly awe inspiring.
 Only one other movie ever gave the same feel of
massive armies battling each other, and that was
"Waterloo" with Rod Steiger and Christopher
Plummer.

Seeing Return of the King isn't just a treat, it
is an awesome experience that needs to be seen
in a movie theater to truly get the whole
overwhelming effect that this movie provides in
spades.

Huette

=====
shall never cease to be amused.