[Sca-cooks] Italian Nougat recipe

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius at verizon.net
Sat Dec 27 12:26:38 PST 2003

Also sprach AEllin Olafs dotter:
>Your inquiry was not on the list, but that's the shop Adamantius was
>raving about (and I was agreeing with him about) in the Pistachio
>Marzipan thread.
>
>Yes, it's worth dropping in on... and yes, from outside, it looks
>like nothing. Dingy, even. But inside the treasures await, piled in
>careless bunches.
>
>OK, I'll have to look in on this Prince Adamantius mentions  - that,
>I don't know.

I had to read this twice. Who the h*** is this Prince Adamantius???

Oh. I get it.

J.B. Prince was (I haven't been there in a while; it may have moved,
closed, or Heaven knows what) on 38th Street between 5th and 6th
Avenues, on the eighth floor. After a quick Web search I find that
they're now on 36 East 31st Street, 11th Floor. It's possible that
that was their original location and I just remembered it wrong.
Unfortunately, the last person I sent to J.B. Prince reported to me
that they no longer had their Magic Little Room With The
Unpredictable Assortment Of Discontinued Items At Huge Discounts, but
it was still quite an eye-opening experience for someone expecting
Williams-Sonoma. They have a website located at
http://www.jbprince.com. The site is quick to inform the visitor that
they don't have a retail store, but that their warehouse has a
showroom, and where they will take your money if you absolutely must
take their goodies away with you.

And, of course, they will always be, for me, The Home Of the Original
Ten-Inch Dick.

If one is doing professional cooking (and probably not worth it under
any other circumstances), the last of the holy trinity, so to speak,
would be the Bragard showroom. They're kind of the Brooks Brothers of
chef's uniforms. I'd have to look up their location.

>And thank you for posting the Nougat recipe! I haven't seen it in
>shops in ages, and I keep having customers ask about it. Not that I
>can really stand in a store handing out recipes...  but it may be
>useful to know how it can be made if someone I know looks for it!

I looked at it, saw that it looked like a good recipe, then realized
I have the book mentioned as the source (and readers who pay close
attention to this list will have heard the tale about how I _may_
have killed Craig Claiborne, so am therefore famous).

Adamantius