[Sca-cooks] OOP -- Persimmons

John Kemker john at kemker.org
Sat Dec 27 19:02:56 PST 2003

Y'know, thinking about the sweetness of persimmons (when fully ripe) and
the propensity of deer to eat said fruit, I came up with an idea.

How about a hunter's sauce using persimmons as the sweetener/fruit
base?  Many complain of the "gamey" taste of venison.  (Not me.  It's
never tasted "gamey" to me.)  To offset that, some have used sweet,
fruit-based sauces to help complement the taste.  Would persimmons be
appropriate for a hunter's sauce, instead of the traditional jellies/jams?

In any case, I found a link using Google that has several persimmon recipes:

http://www.huntersiga.com/RecipeSearchResults.cfm?SearchString=course:dessert%20AND%20fruit

There is Persimmon Ice Cream, Persimmon Ice, Persimmon Cream Pie.

This link has Persimmon Jelly:
http://www.1-800-family.net/cooking/recipes_persimmonjelly.html

Here is a Persimmon Spice Cake:
http://www.nevadaweb.com/owc/html/persimmon.html

Persimmon Bread: http://www.melissas.com/recipes/index.cfm?recipe_id=820

Persimmon Pudding: http://www.kovr13.com/11nov01/dr112601.htm

Persimmon Cookies: http://www.kovr13.com/11nov00/dr111300.htm

Persimmon Wine:  http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques19.asp

Persimmon Chocolate Chip Cookies:
http://www.internationalrecipesonline.com/recipes/view.pl?802

65 Persimmon Recipes:
http://www.justfruitrecipes.com/rindex.php?source=fruit&rtype=persimmon&ttype=Persimmon

Hopefully, this will give you some ideas on how to use the puckery fruit
for something other than attracting deer.  (My favorite use for persimmons!)

--Cian