Sausage gravy- was Re: [Sca-cooks] gravy

Generys ferch Ednuyed generys at blazemail.com
Mon Dec 29 07:09:31 PST 2003

> The second was one that I had been aware of, but had thought
> was an aberration until I was discussing it with Adamantius.
> In this one, you cook the sausage, then remove it from the
> pan, make a roux with the fat and the flour, add the milk and
> the sausage, and heat through. This one makes a much darker
> gravy, but should still be in the tan range. Have I got your
> method right, A?

My mother, who's definitely a southerner (by way of Appalachia - born and
raised in Wilkes County, NC), taught me to make sausage gravy much like
this.  Her way doesn't really involve removing the sausage completely from
the pan though - just brown it, maybe with a little butter if it's not very
fatty, scootch it to one side of the pan and tilt the pan so all the fat
drains to one side, then make a very light roux with the fat and flour on
that side of the pan.  Then add milk and cook - I've never found this to
make a dark gravy though - I can still get white gravy when I do this.
<Shrug> go figure.

Generys