[Sca-cooks] canned gravy??????

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 29 11:34:09 PST 2003

>>that, and (for the kids) a glass of diluted mogan david wine... probably
>>about a tablespoon per sherry glass.   funny, the family had fancy
>>glassware, but never drank any other wine!
>>
>>but i think that watered down wine and the cheese glass full of beer at
>>crabfeasts de-mystified drinking for us kids, which is a good thing.
>
>I agree, in general. We got kind of a demystifying and unpretentious
>exposure, one designed to make us familiar with the stuff without making
>us... 'ow yoo say... hanker for it in any unnatural way. I suppose like
>some kids are brought up around guns. "This is a useful thing. It's no big
>deal, but it can be dangerous, so be careful. It's better to know what
>you're talking about than to not know." My 12-year-old has acquired a
>fairly good taste in beers and some surprisingly adult preferences, if not
>encyclopedic, in wines. It's actually kind of interesting to develop a
>child's palate while it's still sensitive, while instilling some sense of
>responsibility in him (schoolwork notwithstanding) at the same time.
>
>Adamantius

As a child I was allowed a little wine at celebration suppers and a little
beer sitting with my uncle on the porch and did the same in raising my
daughter.  True, she was so de-mystified by wine and beer she also developed
her own palette and would simply deny drinking anything she did not like the
taste of, as opposed to my god-daughter who would simply sneak around
grabbing anything she could get hand on.  She still does!  My daughter, on
the other hand, drains all the good bottles in my liquor cabinet and then
goes with her own money to buy cheap wiskey.  Blah.
Olwen