[Sca-cooks] maintenance questions -- feast gear

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 30 06:47:12 PST 2003

>Last fall, I managed to get appointed Shire chamberlain (just before the
>last chamberlain got sent home from Ur due to unplanned collision with a
>jeep). Yesterday being warm and sunny, I trucked over the shire storage
>unit and did the inventory. I have a couple of questions for y'all about
>group gear:
>
>- what kind of marker works best on aluminum/steel trays and bowls

I know someone said scribing them, but if you don't have a scribe you can
use the plastic tape (from hardware store, comes in colours) and a sharpie.
That actually works well and doesn't come off in the diswasher.

>- do you have a favorite grease-cutting dish soap (I now know the one we
>used at our last event didn't work, ick)?

Someone already suggested Dawn.

>- should wooden bowls with a finish on them be oiled?
>
>- anybody have a good cheap source for those composite wood bowls or some
>other substitute for soup-sized and butter-sized wooden or cheap plastic
>bowls?

I have a bag full of the composite wooden bowls that I can't deal with as
they are musty and if I try to open the bag I have an asthma attack.  I can
bring it to you at the Cooks Collegeum and you can see what is usable, if
you like.

>- anybody have a good idea what proportion of large to small bowls one
>should have for feastgear?

I have one larger soup bowl, a small soup bowl and a couple of tiny ones for
sauces in my gear, plus two plates and flatware for three plus two to four
napkins and two cups.  Seems odd, but so am I.

>-- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net

Olwen