[Sca-cooks] Re: Sca-cooks digest, Vol 1 #3235 - 12 msgs

Matthew & Maribeth Mitchell cloister at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 24 15:44:44 PST 2003

AMAC

> *grin* I served rose and orange-blossom scented cream tartlets....apparently
> these were appreciated...
>

> Tsara said:
>>  My name is Tsara. I am I Gyldenholt. I think I spelled that right? That
>> Orange County California.
>
> Is that your SCA persona name? or your real name?
Oh sorry still a little new to all of this. I found this list by accident.
My person is Rom/ Gypsy. My husband is also but his Rom people come from
Russia. I personal am undecided. I am trying to figure that out. Mari is my
real name.

>> We are new to the Sca and one of the many reason I joined was because of the
>> opportunity to learn new recipes. This I get to try new things.
>
> Welcome to the SCA and to SCA-Cooks!
>

>> I have bought a small potable stove, a Dutch oven, a cast iron grill that
>> also has a flat serves.
>
> Do you have some reasonable feastgear? Eating utensils, plates, drinking
> vessels, etc?

Yes I have be very lucky and 10 drinking vessels, several bowls, A few
serving thing such as platters, large bowls, pitcher, small wooden spoons,
about 6 plates. Almost everything is made from wood.

I also have three ice chest.

> These files in the Florilegium might be of interest:
>
> Feast-Basket-art   (7K) 10/18/00    "The Well-Tempered Feast Basket: a guide
> for newcomers" by Lady Jehanne de Huguenin.
> http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/Feast-Basket-art.html
> feastgear-msg     (26K)  5/ 9/00    Obtaining feastgear for use in the SCA.
>                                       cleaning wooden feastgear.
> http://www.florilegium.org/files/FEASTS/feastgear-msg.html
>
> You might also find some of the other files in the NEWCOMERS section to be of
> interest.
>

>> It hard to know what I should invest in next as for making a good kitchen.
>>
>> The last event we went to I took a group of my teen friends who may join us
>> for some other events. I brought shish kabobs. Not I big hit with his
>> friends. Some walking by lead to believe that these were far from not
>> period.  Is this so???
>
> It probably depends upon your definition of "period". Where and when? Shish
> kabobs might be period for the medieval Middle East but not Europe.

My son claims to Rom of Turkish in origin. So that was part of the reasoning
behind it. It a fair amount of searching find a recipe that was Turkish for
the kabob. I went with an olive oil, wine marinade. Eggplant, onions,
mushrooms.

>> I also made some bread and stuffed it with cheeses, herbs, bacon and
>> sausage. I am sure that this was not period. But that they ate three large
>> loaves of.
>
> I'm not sure of that particular combination, but there are some period
> 'stuffed bread' recipes. The biggest problem is that actual period bread
> recipes are in short supply.
>
> bread-stuffed-msg (28K)  7/21/99    Period stuffed bread. Rastons. Recipes.
>
> http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BREADS/bread-stuffed-msg.html
>

>> I also made something called Gypsy tart. That was cream whipped until
>> thickened and then I blended brown sugar and baked in phylo dough. This took
>> longer to set up then I was lead to believe. And the dough was not crisp as
>> I had hoped for. I think perhaps if I cook the dough first then added the
>> filling that this would have turned out better.
>
> I believe phylo dough itself is post-period. How were you baking this? I'm not
> sure whether there were medieval pastries like this or not. If you are
> interested in pastries or desserts, you might be interested in some of the
> files in the FOOD-BREADS section of the Florilegium including:
>
> 14C-Sweets-art    (17K)  9/14/00    "Sweets and Treats of the 14C"
>                                      by Lady Hauviette d'Anjou.
> 3-Span-Sweets-art (13K)  4/26/01    Three Spanish sweet dishes from de Nola by
>                                      Vicente.
> Andlsn-Pstres-art (20K) 11/24/01    "Andalusian Pastries" by Dinah bint
> Ismai'l.
> baklava-msg       (56K)  2/17/03    Period baklava-like layered pastries.
> (This file has some info on phylo dough)
>
> pastries-msg     (117K)  7/16/02    Medieval pastries. Recipes.
> Roses-a-Sugar-art (21K)  7/15/98    "Divers Pretty Things Made Of Roses &
> Sugar" by Mistress Renata Kestryl of Highwynds.
> Rosquillas-msg    (15K)  6/20/01    Spanish pastry of biscotti-like rings.
>

>> I could go but I will spare you with that for now.
>
> Well, looking through the Florilegium might help answer some of your
> questions. Then again, it might raise a number of new ones. But go ahead and
> ask your questions here. Besides, we've been spending a fair amount of
> bandwidth on non-period foods, so such questions might bring us back to them.
>

> Stefan
>

> Check under Newcomers at http://www.gyldenholt.org/
> If I remember correctly Gyldenholt has a boffo Newcomers program.  I highly
> recommend taking advantage of it.  I got to be with a group of Peers who did
> a "panel" so that they could answer questions you might have, relate their
> own first experiences, and generally let everyone feel that we are all in
> this game together.  Other nights included basic heraldry, social skills
> (Oh, My, God! Is that the Queen who's hem I just ripped out?), what's basic
> garb, and most of all Welcome to the SCA!  All of it became SCA 101 the
> anti-terrorist tactics!
>
> Regina Romsey

Thank you both for your input.

Believe it or not we went last year to all of the newcomers meeting. Life
got in the way of attending much of anything beyond that. Recently I have
recommitted and pick  out one event a month and go!!!!!!

I have to say the one we chose was not what I had planed. We got there late
so we could not shoot. However my husband who had not really found his thing
in the sca was might have fallen in love with archery.

The boys did not mind at.

 Quen had a good time even though the lady who had was in charge of the kids
did not show up. We found 1 little boy his age and we played with the
balloons for a long time. Then we watched dogs who practiced going through
an obstacle course.

I wish I had finished our cloaks. So that what I am working on right now.

Thanks you for giving the input.

Tsara