[Sca-cooks] Needing Help with Serving a Feast....

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 3 20:38:58 PST 2003

On 3 Feb 2003, at 23:00, kattratt wrote:

> Ok I need some documentation material, and MY LOCAL library has
> basically zilch.
> So I overheard at an event about a period feast that was essentially
> as follows... Folks walk in and nibbly type stuff is on the table...
> (Ie appetizers) Dates, Olives, beverage, etc... The food is served.
> BAM and I mean everything but the dessert.  Let's say everything from
> a 3 courser type meal, I am thinking 1-2 salads, 3 veggies, 3 meats, a
> pie or 2, and uhm 2-3 breads. Now this was for a smaller feast... when
> it was referenced at said SCA feast....  but I simply can't remember
> the documentation and he hasn't replied... Now third course is of
> course dessert..... So essentially we have a meal served in 3 but it
> is a different set of "courses" I mean all of the main food goes out
> at once.

Can you identify a specific country or time period?  The cuisines for
which I have seen menus -- Spanish, Italian, French, and English --
have more than one course of "main dishes".  Many of them have
sweet dishes in the middle of the meal, and many don't have
sweets at the end.  That doesn't mean that the kind of meal you
mention isn't period, but it would be easier to find out if you could
narrow down the possibilities a little.

There are some example of period menus in the Florilegium:
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FEASTS/p-menus-msg.html

Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
rcmann4 at earthlink.net