[Sca-cooks] Needing Help with Serving a Feast....

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Tue Feb 4 18:12:56 PST 2003

At 06:44 PM 2/4/03 -0500, you wrote:

>I think basically what I am looking for is to see if this style of
>serving was done at all...
>And the method I am thinking (just for a better description) is similar
>to "Family Style" dining where all the dishes are on the table everyone
>sits down and eats, and then dessert is presented (if they have
>dessert).   This is for a group of about 30 and I want it to be a little
>less formal and more I dunno...

First, the Mantra:

"Absence of proof is not proof of absence."

That I know of- no. Depends of course- is this just a gathering of friends,
or do you have a high table and some nobles? If this was just a group of
friends, having dinner in the Hall after the hunt- maybe. But they didn't
write about that sort of thing. They did write about feasts with nobles,
and no, they didn't serve that way.

Not all meals are feasts. And not all meals are served in the hall of a
lord. But the records we have are of serving feasts in the hall of a lord...

I think you are looking for something that isn't there. Serve your meal in
a way that works for you and your diners. And don't worry about it.

'Lainie