[Sca-cooks] Barberries, was "Just a feast"

Kirrily Robert skud at infotrope.net
Wed Feb 5 12:19:13 PST 2003

Anahita wrote:
> So, Katherine, care to share the recipe?

Sure.  I first made it at a camping event, as a sort of
seat-of-the-pants redaction.  It's from The Good Huswife's Jewell
(http://infotrope.net/sca/texts/good-huswifes-jewell/)

To boile Chickins

Strayne your broth into a pipkin, & put in your Chickins, and skumme
them as cleane as you can and put in a peece of butter, and a good deale
of Sorrell, and so let them boyle, and put in all manner of spices and a
lyttle verjuyce pycke, and a few Barberies, and cutte a Lemman in
peeces, and scrape a little Suger uppon them, and laye them uppon the
Chickins when you serve them up, and lay soppes upon the dish.

My quantities are all a bit approximate, I'm a bit of a taste-it-and-see
cook, but I'll be refining this at the test dinner on Saturday:

To serve 8:

8 chicken pieces
2-3 cups sorrell or other greens, roughly chopped
1 lemon, skin removed then sliced
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1L chicken stock
2 tblsp butter